A threadlocker is a single component liquid or semi-solid adhesive. They cure at room temperature to a hard solid thermoset plastic when applied between steel, aluminium, brass and most other metal surfaces. They cure in the absence of air. The adhesive completely fills the gaps between mating threads to lock threads and joints.
- Low Strength (Purple): Ideal for fasteners <1⁄4″ (6 mm). Easy disassembly using hand tools
- Medium Strength (Blue): Designed to be removable with standard hand tools on 1⁄4″ to 3⁄4″ fasteners
- High Strength (Red): Designed to deliver high strength on 1⁄4″ to 3⁄4″ (6 mm to 22 mm) fasteners. For removal, it may require localized heat (>550°F/260°C), hand tools, and disassembly while hot
LOCTITE® 222 – Purple
This is a low-strength threadlocker that allows the adjustment of screws including countersunk head screws and set screws. Good on low-strength metals which could fracture during disassembly, e.g. aluminum or brass. The product works on all metals, including passive substrates such as stainless steel, aluminum and plated surfaces. t is proven to be tolerant of minor contamination due to industrial oils, e.g. motor oils, corrosion prevention oils and cutting fluids.
- Ideal for low-strength threadlocking of adjusting screws, countersunk head screws and set screws
- Prevents loosening on vibrating assemblies, e.g. pumps, gear boxes or presses
- Permits disassembly with hand tools
- Especially suited to small thread sizes
LOCTITE® 242 – Blue
This is a medium strength, medium viscosity, methacrylate-based threadlocking adhesive offering general purpose qualities. The product provides quick fixture times on steel, brass and stainless steel of 5, 15 and 20 min respectively. LOCTITE 242 is thixotropic to prevent migration after application and is intended for fasteners that require normal disassembly with standard hand tools.
- Medium strength
- Medium viscosity
- Quick fixture time
- Thixotropic to reduce adhesive migration
- Download Datasheet